We've just put out a release of Review Board 1.0 alpha 2. This release has some major improvements and bug fixes over alpha 1, and we recommend that everybody upgrades.
The main improvements are performance-related. We've added aggressive browser-side caching support, as well as reorganized load times in our pages in order to reduce load times. The diff viewer now loads almost instantly and then progressively loads diffs on the fly, meaning you can start reviewing right away.
If you have mod_expires and mod_deflate (Apache) or mod_gzip (lighttpd) enabled, you'll see the cache and load time improvements. Apache users will get the new configuration for taking advantage of this for free, but if you're a lighttpd user, you'll need to update your configuration based on our lighttpd.conf template.
Going forward, upgrades using easy_install will not grab nightlies. They will only be grabbing stable releases. If you want to continue using nightlies, please refer to the Getting Started guide.
A full summary of the changes in this release are below:
Bugs Fixed in post-review:
- We now strip the filename coming in from Perforce. There can be a trailing newline sometimes, resulting in a failed upload. (Bug #726)
- We set the correct locale now when invoking svn. Patch by Łukasz Jernaś. (Bug #822)
- Fixed backwards version comparison logic in post-review's GitClient. Patch by Stacey Sheldon.
- Added support for hgsubversion. Patch by Augie Fackler
- Added support for Clearcase. Patch by Daniel Belz.
Bugs Fixed in rb-site:
- rb-site now sets "postgresql_psycopg2" as the DATABASE_ENGINE for PostgreSQL installs. Patch by Rusty Burchfield. (Bug #822)
- rb-site should now generate config files that work correctly on Windows servers.
Bugs Fixed in Review Board:
- Whitespace from usernames are now stripped on LDAP accounts, which prevents duplicate user accounts in the database. (Bug #728)
- Fixed a bug where anchors in comment flags were incorrect and were getting lost when setting the comment count for the flag. This was breaking anchors to parts of the diff. (Bug #820)
- The fields in the comment dialog are now disabled if the user is not logged in. (Bug #827)
- Key presses in dialogs or in the review request details box no longer trigger navigation in the diff viewer. (Bug #828)
- The "Review" link on a review request is no longer displayed if the user is not logged in.
- Trailing whitespace wasn't shown in diff fragments on the review request page.
- Trailing whitespace wasn't always shown in the diff viewer, if it appeared in the middle of a comment block.
- Removed some old YUI files that were still in the repository.
- Improved lighttpd and Apache+fastcgi support. A Review Board install using either lighttpd or Apache+fastcgi should now work out of the box without setting up any custom scripts for launching fastcgi.
- The diff fragments placeholders in the review request page are now set to the same size as the fragment itself. This means that progressively loaded fragments should no longer cause the page to jump nearly as much, resulting in a smoother loading experience.
- When displaying the Review form, we now make sure that the form is scrolled to the top. This fixes a bug where the page was often scrolled to the bottom of the list of comments.
- Several improvements were made to Bazaar support. We now use bzrlib and support revid information in the diff header.
- The comment dialog is now slightly wider and has slightly smaller text, resulting in more room for comments.
Load times for nearly all parts of Review Board have greatly
increased. The browser is now instructed to aggressively cache
media files and many pages, meaning fewer downloads when going to
any particular page.
We optimize the order in which resources are loaded in order to
take advantage of the browser's ability to parallelize downloads
The results of these files are GZip'd to further increase transfer
Apache users will get these improvements for free. lighttpd users
will need to upgrade their lighttpd config file based on the
template provided with Review Board in the contrib/conf/
On top of this, we now use jQuery 1.3.1, which is many times faster
than the previous version of jQuery we were using, and we also
have a number of improvements such as progressive loading of the
Added progressive loading of the diff viewer. This is one of the
main features of this release. Regardless of the size of the diff,
the diff viewer now loads quickly, and loads each file's diff
progressively. This gives people the ability to review code before
all the diffs have even been generated.
This also fixes some major scalability issues we've had with large
diffs. In theory, it's now possible to review very large diffs
that span many pages.
Added support for linkifying pieces of text in the Description and
Testing Done fields. (Issue #258)
The following formats are supported:
- /r/123 numbers (even /r/123/diff and such)
- bug/issue numbers (in the form of "bug abc123", "bug #abc123",
"issue abc123" and "issue #abc123")
- Added support for Clearcase repositories. This depends on a mounted view on the Review Board server. Patch by Daniel Belz.