For over a decade, we've been building Review Board with the goal of making your code, UI, and documentation review process easier, helping you weigh in and spot problems before your customers do.
But we know you're busy — we all are — and there's better uses for your time than checking every change for syntax errors, unused variables, bad imports, style consistency, and other problems that could have been caught ahead of time by code analysis tools.
So we'd like to help you out.
Meet Review Bot.
Review Bot is a self-installed service and extension for Review Board 3.0 that automatically reviews code changes posted for review. It integrates with a handful of popular command line code analysis tools, gathering results and posting reviews for issues found in the code.
You can create as many Review Bot configurations as needed for your organization, running different tools for different repositories or review groups, and customizing the settings for each tool.
Review Bot 1.0 supports the following tools:
- BuildBot "try" — automated builds
- Checkstyle — Static analysis for Java
- Clang Static Analyzer — Static analysis for C, C++, and Objective-C
- Cppcheck — Static analysis for C and C++
- CppLint — Style checker for C and C++ using Google's style guide
- flake8 — Style checker and static analysis for Python
- PMD — Static analysis and duplicate code detector for a wide variety of languages
- pycodestyle — Style checker for Python
- pyflakes — Static analysis for Python
More are coming soon, but you're not limited to what Review Bot ships with. You can also write your own integrations for tools used in your organization using Python.
Get started with Review Bot
Review Bot is ready and eager to start reviewing your code today. To get set up, there are three components you'll need to install:
- A compatible message broker service, such as RabbitMQ or Redis, which tracks automated code review requests
- The Review Bot worker service, which runs any configured tools against your code
- The Review Bot extension for Review Board 3.0
The message broker and Review Bot worker can be installed on the server running Review Board or on a dedicated server. Follow your preferred broker's instructions and the Review Bot installation guide to get everything set up. Please note that some tools may have their own installation requirements as well.
If you have any questions or hit any problems as you get going, you can reach out to us on our community support forum. Priority support for Review Bot is also included as part of a Review Board support contract.